Sunday, June 17, 2012

LiveWire 2012



LiveWire is the cultural festival of Ascendas, the software park that I work at. Last friday, I had attended one of those evenings at the insistence of friends. Never really been a fan of live events - the loud blaring performances generally turn me off. This was a different experience. Something that I liked. May be it was the company of friends that made it more enjoyable. I had stayed back watching the solo singing and dancing competitions. The performances were really something beyond my expectations. The singers I realized were more of performers than singers. They focused not just on singing but also engaging the audience.

There were dances covering the entire gamut from Kathak, Bharatnayam to plain old Allu Arjun dances. Men and women were equally good and it felt like watching some reality show minus the drama. Perhaps that made it more fun.

What is it about Live Events that make them so exhilarating? Is it the crowds that surround you or your ability to lose yourself in the crowd and feel one with them? Or is it the believability of the performances happening live before your eyes that make it more exciting? I have listened to people vouch about Metallica shows, AR Rahman's performances and how they have thoroughly enjoyed them. While I was at college I had witnessed a live show by Lucky Ali. I really liked it but what made this more enjoyable was perhaps company of like minded friends. We appreciated a few performances, made fun of a few, laughed whole-heartedly and in-all had a fun filled friday evening. May be I should start seeing more live performances and see if it is something that I might learn to like.

No comments: