Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Kids these days!!!

The new generation kids are far more intelligent than we can imagine in our wildest dreams. Let me validate my hypothesis with a few incidents...

Incident 1:

My first interesting experience in this regard date back to the time when I was working at Verizon. Right out

of college it was my second year at job. One of my cousins from US had come over and i had arranged for

their accomodation at Hotel shelter. Its a nice three star hotel with a complementary breakfast which

offers numerous varieties. so i decided have breakfast over there the next day.


I start interacting with my cousin. She's in her school and is apparently a spelling bee champ at her

school. And my english is as u know Mashallah :)

Right when i was about begin my breakfast..she starts posing anagrams for me. I was able do the initial

few. But then the main purpose of having breakfast over there was being defeated. I longed for a

dictionary for all the words she started quizzing me about made me wonder if I would want to meet her

again :)


Incident 2:

I am a bit wiser now and if someone wants to play around with words i tell them right away that i am not

the right person.

I have a friend here who is in her kindergarden. We play games like snake and ladder and

ludo (though both of us dont know the rules :))

Any how whenever I wanted to leave her and return back to my real world, I would excuse myself saying

that i have an exam or that i have homework. Now these are the only two reasons that she would agree to

let me go. This went on fine until i had my semester break.

She asked me to come n play. I told her that i had homework to do. She retorted :" It always about

your homework. What about mine?"

Now if you think this was shocking, the next one left me speechless. I told her that i was going home and would be back on saturday. Immediately i realised my mistake and told her that i wud be back on sunday.

Now guess what would be her reaction ???


After a second she shot back - " You are telling me lies. first tell me the correct thing"

I was left speechless. I told her mom that in an year's i wouldnt be intelligent enough to lie to her

even i want to :)


Incident 3:

This relates to another kid who just got into her medical college. I scrapped her something and she

replied back saying "dankee". Now I was confused. A search on google revealed that dankee would mean

"smoking pot" as per the urban dictionary. Now this did not make sense nor was i able to figure out any

alternate meaning..

After due thought, I felt that it might be some sms lingo for "Thank you". In a weird way it does rhyme

with it. The interpreation was correct but the truth is totally different.

"Dankee" or "Dankae" is apparently a german word for thank you. Now that's serendipity for me :)


These incidents have left me without any doubt abt the smartness of next generation. I hope that i will be able to keep pace for a few more years :)

1 comment:

Durga Chichili said...

The second incident with your kindergarten friend is awesome! :)