Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Pursuit of the Short-term......


Life tends to be fire-fighting exercise for all of us.....We tend to think that its because of its poor planning....
but have you ever wondered if it could be because of being too optimistic and demanding on yourself...we have great expectations from one's own capabilities...and this results in a water tight plan assuming a 100% efficiency rate which is not true in real life...so one lapse leads to another..

Anyhow i am digressing from what I wanted to say.....Everyone of us would have faced an interview at some point of time where in you were asked to list down your :

(1) short-term
(2) Medium-term and
(3) Long-term goals

and we are like...I am not sure what I am gonna do tomorrow and you want me to speak of next 10-15 years......why god?? why??

But in my case.....if I look back i wonder what i was doing all along... was there a method to the madness.....I always make plans as to what I want to do in this week...and may be the next week...thinking beyond two is too much stress on my brain....

In pursuit of this short term we always fail to do something for the long term..and life becomes a journey without a direction....following where the events lead you rather than going where you want to be.....

The problem as I see it is our long term plans tend to be too grandiose...Its like the Prime Minister unveiling a new Nuclear power plant if i were to draw a comparison...

If we need to overcome this syndrome...one possible way is to break up this mega plan into bits and pieces sth....a piece small enough that it can be dealt in the short term without being concerned about the magnanimous efforts that lie ahead......

so fire-fight in the short-term..but do bring a part of your long-term plan into it.....Else life will be a maze where you can get lost...and when you look back..you can only but wonder what were you thinking.......

No comments: